My maternity viewing has been The X-Files. So far, in three and a half months, I’ve watched 78 episodes (and as I’m writing this in advance, I’ll probably have hit 90 episodes by the time you read this.) I loved it when I was a young teenager and now I’m older I’m noticing some… dodgy-ness. Such as the fact it’s really quite a cheap show. Not Crossroads/Acorn Antiques cheap, but fairly low cost compared to what would probably be spent on such a show now.
There are also certain things that happen so often to be absurd/be used as a drinking game. Feel free to use the following observations for X-Files bingo/recklessly partaking in shots.
Things that happen a lot to Scully in The X-Files:
- She’s abducted (by aliens, psychopaths, generally dodgy types- all count)
- She’s knocked out/almost killed
- She wears white tights with black shoes (this gets better in later seasons. I think wardrobe hated her for a while.)
- She says ‘Oh my God‘
- She questions Mulder- but doesn’t question her faith in God
Things that happen a lot to Mulder:
- He (or someone else) says “I want to believe!”
- He mentions Samantha (yawwwwwwwwn)
- He goes ‘rogue’ and no one can find him
- He is knocked out/beaten up
- He has a hunch that turns out to be right
- He’s generally more naked than Scully (a nod to the lady X-philes amiriiiiiiight?!)
Things that happen a lot to both of them that would probably call into question their mental health/suitability for employment in the FBI:
- Being hauled up to quarantine (so far- every season has one episode that requires this)
- Someone they love is murdered/abducted
- They’re disrespectful to their boss
- They both go rogue/disappear for a number of days
- They see dead people
Bonus points for noticing when actors and locations from earlier series are reused.
I know that I’m not meant to notice this stuff, as I’ve watched three and a half seasons’ worth of programmes in a very short space of time. But still.
Anything I’ve forgotten?